[Charlotte.PM] O'Reilly User Group Program - We're Approved!

Dhruv Gami gami at d10systems.com
Wed Nov 24 07:35:15 CST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, William McKee wrote:

> Good news for you book hounds! The Charlotte.PM has been approved for
> the O'Reilly User Group Program. In a nutshell this means we can request

Congratulations ! This is great news !

> review copies of any of the O'Reilly books. In addition, we can get a
> 20% discount on any books we buy as well as free shipping if the order
> is over $30. It's an all-around good deal.

Does that mean that members can get orders placed via the group in order
to avail the discount ? I don't know a 20% discount is a big deal, or
whether or not it could be availed from other sources.

>  2) Review books and send your reviews to the mailing list so that we can
>  post them onto the website; in addition, you can post them to any online
>  book review site such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Slashdot.

is there a commitment of any sort? like we need to post X number of
reviews per month ? or that we need to review the books we request within
X number of days or something like that ?

> I'd like to maintain a library of books that can be checked out by our
> members. I don't mind lugging the books if someone would volunteer to be
> the librarian and keep track of the books (preferably via the wiki so we
> can see what's available, what's in and what's out).

Initially probably someone would have to lug the books around, as we don't
have a place to store them. I could ask a couple of people in UNCC who're
interested in being a part of the PM and they *might* be willing to store
the books in their offices, and letting us access them. But i'll go ahead
with this only if others here agree upon this sort of a set up. If others
feel more comfortable if the books are with william, and if he's okay with
the inconvenience of carrying them, we could probably give it a try for
some time.

> I plan to place a request by December 15th which should have the books
> available to us by the next meeting in January (remember there is no
> December meeting). Send an email to the list with your request. As
> usual, this is a FIFO process (we can't request duplicates).

I'm unfortunately tied up for the entire next month and would not be able
to contribute much to these latest developments. Hopefully by the end of
next month i'll start being more visible, and contribute more to the
group. It'd be great have our website wiki'd.

hats off to william for doing such a wonderful job.

regards,
Gami
--
Dhruv Gami