[Cascavel-pm] [OT] CodeZoo

Marco Lima marco.lima em e-via.com.br
Quarta Abril 6 10:17:32 PDT 2005

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6803

CodeZoo, a new O'Reilly site, launches
Marc Hedlund
Apr. 05, 2005 12:53 PM

A new O'Reilly site, CodeZoo, launched today. CodeZoo exists to help
you find high-quality, freely available, reusable components, getting
you past the repetitive parts of coding, and onto the rest and the
best of your projects. As we say in the welcome letter, it's a
fast-forward button for your compiler. (Okay, bad analogy. But work
with me.)

Perl's CPAN has long been one of the best features of the Perl
community -- a central service that provides easy access to tons of
reusable code. Many other languages have plenty of free code, but no
easy place to find it (short of Google). In the Java world, Apache
Jakarta is the closest thing to CPAN, but it covers a limited set of
components. CodeZoo is launching with a directory of Java components,
and from there, we hope to move into other languages. Let us know
where you think we should go next! (We've already gotten one request
for Lisp...)

We're not focused on hosting developer projects, like SourceForge, nor
on comprehensively listing all open source Java code. Instead, we've
hand-selected a list of the components we think will be the easiest
and best to use in your development projects -- whether you are an
open source or commercial developer. CodeZoo lets you rate each
component, and sort and select components that other users rate the
highest. Your tips and code samples for using each component live
right on the component page, making it easy to share hacks,
workarounds, and optomizations that help you get more from the code.
We want to help you find good code, and get to using it as quickly as
possible.

Each component has a page containing links to O'Reilly Network
articles and weblogs, Safari books (from O'Reilly and other
publishers), conference presentations, and test and integration
results from SpikeSource, our launch sponsor. We want to bring
together all the material you need to get up and running with a
component, and put it all on one page.

We hope you enjoy the site. Look forward more from this project -- we
think you'll like how it grows.

Marc Hedlund was cofounder and CEO of Popular Power, the first
commercially released P2P distributed computing platform. Before
Popular Power he founded Lucas Online, Lucasfilm's internet division.

[  ]'s

Marco Lima
J. A. P. H.

marco.lima em e-via.com.br