[Canberra-pm] publishing code documentation

Stephen Steneker stephen at sydney.pm.org
Thu Jul 17 05:56:33 PDT 2008

> Ok here is the scenario. Lots of Perl code and modules lying around,
> mostly well documented with POD. Also have some non-code
> documentation written in POD as-well (designs,tutorials etc.), also
> fairly randomly dispersed through same directory structure.
>
> What I would like is a way to painlessly generate HTML from all the
> POD lying around, and turn it into a website that has a structure
> which mirrors the underlying directory structure the POD was sourced
> from (anyone who has browsed a Linux kernel repository through a
> website will know what I mean).
>
> Ok sure it wouldn't be that hard to wing it ourselves, but if theres
> something out there to automate this task would be great...any
> general advice/ideas/philisophies on managing documentation would
> also be welcome.

Hi Michael,

Definitely check out Pod::ProjectDocs (and included `pod2projdocs`):
  http://search.cpan.org/dist/Pod-ProjectDocs/lib/Pod/ProjectDocs.pm

Generates CPAN-style html and indexes for .pm and .pod files ..
and makes handy use of Javascript for search and toggling
source code view.  You'll end up with a separate doc dir that
mirrors your source code structure.

Uses Template Toolkit for the templates, if you're inclined to roll
your own.

Cheers,
Stephen