[Canberra-pm] Introductions

Jepri jepri at babylon.alphacomplex.org
Thu Aug 5 00:22:41 CDT 2004

Hey all,
  I'm going to follow the trend and do an intro too :)

I'm a physicist by training and a sysadmin by accident.  I probably
program more than I admin, but I still consider it to be a hobby (i.e.
no deadlines).

I have written Perl for various jobs at times.  I was once a CGI
scripter, although I never got into Mason.  Thesedays I'm glad I don't
do CGI anymore.  I'm also glad I don't do BASH scripting any more, but
that's another story.

I'm also a bit of a language junkie - I try to become competent with a
new language every couple of years, so my comments often end up being
"this would be easier in (smalltalk | bash | C | etc)."  I keep coming
back to perl though, so there must be something there.  I totally can't
wait for Perl6.

I corrupted a Python programmer last month.  In a few more months, he
will be ours.

Like Andrew and Paul, I'm a SAGE-AU member, but I'm afraid I'll be
missing Paul's talk to go to a sysadmin one instead.  Actually that's my
cover story.  In reality, I'll be in the cafe, trying to alter Paul's
slides halfway through his presentation ;)

I hope to go to OSDC, where I expect that I'll have to be forceably
restrained from giving too many lightening talks.  (We are doing
lightening talks, right guys?)