[Canberra-pm] Introduction

Andrew Pollock andrew-pm at andrew.net.au
Wed Aug 4 01:44:01 CDT 2004

</lurk>

Hi,

I'm a Canberra PM lurker who is actually in Canberra. I'm currently taking a
year off work and doing the uni student thing, studying at ANU to progress
my Bachelor of Information Technology degree some more. Dunno when I'll
actually complete it...

I consider myself a sysadmin by profession, but my last job was in the
operations area of a Managed Services company, doing more of a hybridisation
of network and system administration. I now have a reasonable interest in
network and system security as a result. I'm a Debian developer and a
SAGE-AU member.

I used to work in the ISP industry (owned an ISP in Brisbane before the .com
bubble made a mess).

I've used Perl a lot over the years, from writing bigish CGI scripts, to
automation scripts, to one off data-munging scripts. It's the first "real
language" I learned after straight out shell scripting.

It's still my weapon of choice for sysadmin scripts, and for general
scripting, but I tend to use PHP for web-related stuff these days.

Trying to learn Python, but so far I haven't found a really motivating
reason to do it, since I can do pretty much everything I want to do in Perl.

Anyway, I've probably rambled enough...

</lurk>