[Buffalo-pm] Quick Recap of Tuesday's Meeting

Dan Magnuszewski magnachef at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 14:11:58 PDT 2010

All,

I figured I'd send out a quick recap of the meeting...

* Hackerspace is a real nice location for the meetings, and I look
forward to having more of them there in the future.

* I discussed that things are in the works for a Perl workshop this
winter that would include Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Buffalo
areas (others are obviously welcomed). We're still deciding on the
name, but I suggested (and am referring to it as) Great Lakes Perl
Workshop.

* I then discussed an OpenData platform I'm writing using Catalyst,
App::Cmd, MongoDB, etc. I'll be giving the talk again, and hopefully
better, at Rochester Barcamp next weekend.

* Ben then discussed a new(ish) system call, splice(2), for Linux that
he's been using to copy data around to various pipes without ever
needing to read it into the process, keeping it entirely in kernel
space. Less layers and faster performance! It was pretty cool. Check
out the man page: http://linux.die.net/man/2/splice

* Schwern stopped by.

* We then had delicious beers at Pearl St and Blue Monk!

We'll see everyone next month!

-Dan