[Buffalo-pm] Application Development Framework...

Andrew Gianni agianni at buffalo.edu
Mon Aug 13 06:45:52 PDT 2007

We use CGI::Prototype and I really enjoy working with it. It¹s enormously
flexible and relatively straightforward to get started with. It¹s only the
controller, though, so you¹ll have to pick your own model and view. We
currently use Class::DBI and CGI::P¹s default code assumes Template Toolkit,
but you can override that pretty easily. Also, there is not the large
collection of plug-ins that exist for CGI::A, for example. Overall, it¹s
worth a look. You will probably want to work with CGI::Prototype::Hidden as
your base class, as it implements state maintenance, unless you want to
implement that yourself.

Terrence Brannon put together a CPAN module with links to what limited
documentation exists on the module:

http://search.cpan.org/~tbone/CGI-Prototype-Docs-Resources-0.03/lib/CGI/Prot
otype/Docs/Resources.pm

Andrew

On 8/12/07 11:36 PM, "Daniel Magnuszewski" <dmagnuszewski at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Mongers,
>
> I'm about to begin writing a web application that will have a MySQL backend,
> and will be a relatively low volume user base (at first anyways). I want a
> nice and clean MVC framework to use and have come across a few. There are the
> high profile frameworks like Catalyst, but I'm also wondering about
> CGI::Application::Framework and CGI::Prototype.
>
> I ran across the following page that gives an overview of some other
> frameworks:
>
> http://cgiapp.erlbaum.net/index.cgi?OtherFrameworks
>
> My question, is which is the cleanest, most stable, and easiest to use? Which
> frameworks have you used, what did you find, and which one would you
> recommend?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Dan

Andrew Gianni - Lead Programmer Analyst
University at Buffalo, State University of New York
Computing and Information Technology / Administrative Computing Services
215 MFAC, Ellicott Complex, Buffalo, NY 14261-0026
716.645.3587x7124 - AIM: andrewsgianni - http://schoolof.info/agianni