[Buffalo-pm] Perl-based CRM project proposal

Jim Brandt cbrandt at buffalo.edu
Wed Aug 8 05:48:16 PDT 2007

The big open source CRM right now is Sugar:

http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/

It's PHP and the code is horrible (then again, maybe all PHP code looks
that way, I'm no expert). But they have a company behind the product
with free and supported offerings.

There are no significantly sized Perl CRMs, to my knowledge.

Any particular reason for picking a CRM as a project? It would probably
be worth at least checking out Sugar (they have an on-line version you
can play with).

keith tarbell wrote:
> At the last meeting I proposed the formulation of a project that
> could be a collaborative effort of the local u.g.  The response of
> the membership in attendance was positive (if muted!).
>
> Here is what I propose (in a slightly edited version of my initial
> discussion with Dan):
>
>> On another matter, I'd like to get a project started (open source,
>> Perl, etc) to engage [the] local [user group].  What I have in mind
>> is to put out to the list a request for participation/contribution
>> to developing a CRM (Customer Relationship Management) application,
>> mostly just developing the spec.  This might already exist in some
>> form and there may be elements in CPAN that would be useful, but
>> I'd expect that to come out in the discussion.
>>
>> [...] BTW, this CRM application is [...] a test case.  If it works
>> out and a 'structure' can be developed, I'd like to propose
>> a[nother] [...] application that [builds on the foundation of the
>> CRM project].
>>

> This seems an appropriate project for the generallly customer-service
> oriented industries (banking, collections, medical,
> distribution/logistics) that are a fact of life in Buffalo/WNY.
>
> Please comment on, and contribute to this, proposal.  With sufficient
> interest and activity, I expect a wiki will be set up to continue the
> project and take this discussion off the list. </keith>

Jim Brandt
Administrative Computing Services
University at Buffalo