[Buffalo-pm] February 21st Meeting - Topics Needed!

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Fri Feb 17 06:43:32 PST 2006

This is something that we can go over. Would you also be interested in
learning how to run an external script/program/command from a Perl
script, and be able to use its output within the Perl script?

-Dan

>>> "Shankar, Ganesh" <Ganesh.Shankar at RoswellPark.org> 02/17/06 9:05 AM

 Hello All,

If the schedule is not full already, here's a suggestion for the
beginner topic.  One of the hardest techniques for me to pick up as a
beginner is how to blend Perl and the OS (unix of some flavor) to best
advantage.  For example, one of the gotchas I fell for was not using ./
to run the local script.  Instead, a script with the same name in some
default path was getting executed.  I wasted quite a bit of time on that
one.  Another example is the utility of combining > to pipe Perl output
to a file instead of doing anything special inside the program.

-Ganesh