[Buffalo-pm] Problem With Perl After OS X System Restore

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Tue Feb 14 08:41:29 PST 2006

I haven't reinstalled the developer tools - I guess I assumed that it
was considered an application (like firefox) that would remain after the
restore.

>>> "Kevin Eye" <eye at buffalo.edu> 02/14/06 11:31 AM >>>
Did you re-install the OSX developer tools? I think they're a separate
install and may need to be reinstalled after the restore. They're not
required to use perl on OSX, but they include make and gcc and probably
the
perl include files (like perl.h) you need to compile modules.

Your locate database looks like it hasn't been updated since the
restore. It
only gets regenerated in the middle of the night if your machine
happens to
be on. You could use "find / -name perl.h" but that would be painfully
slow.

 - Kevin

On 2/14/06 11:19 AM, "DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI"
<dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com>
wrote:

> Mongers,
>
> This may be more of a Mac/OS X question than a Perl question...oh
well
> ;-)
>
> Recently, my Mac decided that it wasn't going to boot up, and wasn't
> getting past the grey apple/spinning gear screen. I called Apple
support
> and after a series of random attempts to get it to boot, they advised
me
> to do a restore of the OS with the install CD. I was running version
> 10.3.9, and my install CD was version 10.3.7. So I did a system
restore,
> then upgraded to 10.3.8, then to 10.3.9 and installed the updates.
All
> my data and applications were available and running no problem. Last
> night I tried installing some Perl modules, and I got an error
saying
> that it could not find the file "perl.h" within the
$PERL_LIB/../CORE/
> directory. The file didn't exist in the directory, but when I did a
> locate for perl.h it said that it was in the /System Restore
> 1/$PERL_LIB/../CORE directory. The file was not in this directory
> either. In addition to this, the system could not find any of my
make
> programs.
>
> Has anyone ever run into this problem before? Thanks!
>
> -Dan

Kevin Eye
Web Applications Developer
Marketing and Creative Services