[Buffalo-pm] Update on MJD talk (Sat 13 May 2006, afternoon)

Richard Dice rdice at pobox.com
Wed Apr 26 16:07:13 PDT 2006

Hi everyone,

Here are a few updates on the MJD talk plans.  (Yes, I'm still busting
my hump for this!)

MJD has bought his plane tickets!  If that doesn't say that the talk is
a go then nothing does!   He'll arrive the morning of Friday 12th May
and return to Philly the morning of Sunday 14th May.  As previously
mentioned many times, the talk will be the afternoon of Saturday 13th
May.  For all who are interested we'll get out for dinner/pubbing after
that, too.  There might be time for random other group socialization as
well;  I'll be sure to email the list if anything comes together.

MJD wanted to pass along his thanks for receiving a *lot* of code
contributions.  (My thanks to everyone, too.)  I believe he told me that
it was the most he's received from any PM group thus far on the "Flag
book tour."  (Btw, in case anyone is interested in seeing where he's
been and where he'll be going on the tour, you can see the list he's
keeping at: http://perl.plover.com/flagbook/tour.html )

Of course, the info that everyone is waiting for is the precise
time/place of the talk.  Equally of course, I don't quite have that
entirely worked out just yet. :-)  I have leads with both Seneca/York
and U. Toronto I'm pursuing.  The time window is for the start to be
around 1-2pm and end about 4 hours later.  Venue availability will play
a part in what the final times work out to be.

The talks:
1)  The custom-built "red flag" talk using the example provided by the
currently-mysterious TPM member, about 2 hours
2) "Perl Contains the Lambda Calculus (How to write a 163 line program
to compute 1 + 1)" -- about 90 minutes; a fitting homage to his recent
book "Higher Order Perl".  (Maybe I'll finally understand the
Y-combinator after this talk!)
3) ??? don't know yet.  I'm asking him to pick a "fun talk" talk at
random for another 1/2 hour.  Maybe two 15 minute ones.  His choice.

Regarding donations, yes, there is still room to donate!  (Translation:
we're not there yet.)  I'll be at the TPM meeting tomorrow (Thursday)
night with my receipt book for anyone who'd like to contribute then, and
of course I'll bring it to the afternoon of the event as well.  If
anyone is interested in donating via PayPal you can check out the web
page that TPM regular Fulko Hew set up for the trip:  http://hew.ca/

Thanks everyone.  When I have the venue & time details finally nailed
down I'll get them to the list.  Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow
night as well as on May 13th!

Cheers,
Richard