[Buffalo-pm] Using a C API with Perl...

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Fri Apr 7 06:33:16 PDT 2006

I know. I'm torn. After reading over the Inline docs and cookbook, it
seems intuitive and real easy to use.

I believe that they are regular C - nothing about Objective C is
mentioned. What is the difference between C, Objective C, and Cocoa?

I've looked into CamelBones before, but not for this project. I'll take
a look at that and PerlObjCBridge, and see if those can help.

-Dan

>>> "Kevin Eye" <eye at buffalo.edu> 04/06/06 5:02 PM >>>
My suggestion would be that if what you're doing is just wrapping more
of
the CoreMIDI API, I'd try to add it to the existing perl module. For
one
thing, all the setup of the XS would be half done and there would be
plenty
of examples to follow. For another, you could easily submit your
additions.

If if makes more sense to keep it separate, I'd recommend the Inline
suite
over XS. I've never used XS, but I've used Inline::C a lot and it
couldn't
be easier (unless you're on Windows). However, are the OS X APIs
available
in C, or do you have to use Objective C, which is quite different?

Also, you can look into two projects, "CamelBones" and "PerlObjCBridge"
(man
PerlObjCBridge on your OS X box). I've never used Cocoa or Objective C
enough for them to make sense to me, but I think they intend to expose
all
of Cocoa to Perl.

 - Kevin