[Buffalo-pm] Querying The Port Status...

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Thu Sep 8 11:47:40 PDT 2005

Mongers,

I have been looking around the Internet and CPAN for help on this, and
I'm not sure that I found exactly what I'm looking for. I need to be
able to query a server and test if a specific port is up and listening
for connections. Is there a way that I can "ping" the port? I checked
out LWP::Socket (
http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/LWP-attic-1.00/lib/LWP/Socket.pm ) and it
looks like it may do what I need to do. I'm thinking that by quickly
connecting and disconnecting to a specific port, that it will tell me
that it is up and listening. Is this a good way to go about this, or is
there a better way to do it?!

Thoughts?

Daniel Magnuszewski
CCNA