[Buffalo-pm] Question: How to iterate through 2 arrays and merge columns

Shankar, Ganesh Ganesh.Shankar at RoswellPark.org
Fri Jul 8 05:59:06 PDT 2005

That was it! Thanks.  I'm still getting the uninitialized value warning,
but the script works.  I'm moving on, but I'll keep trying to figure out
the warning.

Thanks, again.

-Ganesh

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Brandt [mailto:cbrandt at buffalo.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 7:50 AM
To: Shankar, Ganesh
Cc: buffalo-pm at pm.org
Subject: Re: [Buffalo-pm] Question: How to iterate through 2 arrays and
merge columns

You still have commas in here, so it's not creating one big string.
You need to convert all of the commas to periods, including the ones
after the "\t". If you fix that, I think you should be all set.

As far as your 'our' problems, here's the snippet from the docs:

An "our" declares the listed variables to be valid globals
                within the enclosing block, file, or "eval".  That
is, it has
                the same scoping rules as a "my" declaration, but
does not cre-
                ate a local variable.

The trick is "within the enclosing block," which in your case was the
'for' loop. In general, most normal programs never need 'our'. You
should just just 'my', and watch out for the scoping issue you ran into.

On Jul 7, 2005, at 5:48 AM, Shankar, Ganesh wrote:

>         push( @red_elements,
>                 $red_items[6]. "\t", $red_items[7]."\t",
>                 $red_items[8]. "\t", $red_items[9]. "\t"
>         );

Jim Brandt
Administrative Computing Services
University at Buffalo