[Buffalo-pm] Buffalo Perl Mongers Under New Management

Jim Brandt cbrandt at buffalo.edu
Wed Feb 23 14:06:56 PST 2005

Announcements:

1) Yes, you read the subject correctly. Our fearless leader, Kevin
Christopher, has followed the call to go West and is now kicking around
Arizona. So I've stepped up to take the reigns and keep things rolling.
And he's promised to stay on the list, so he can keep us honest.

2) The web site is not really functional right now. The www.pm.org
server was relocated right around the time Kevin was handing things
over to me. They've also changed their policy so we can no longer run
cgi scripts on the server. So right now buffalo.pm.org gives you a code
listing.

As soon as I can get access to the server, I'll get the pages cleaned
up. For now it will all have to be flat HTML.

Any suggestions on where we could host dynamic content if we wanted to
have an alternate buffalo PM site?

3) Our next meeting!!!!

We're lucky to have Randal Schwartz in town next week and he's agreed
to attend a Buffalo Perl Mongers meeting on next Thursday night.

Details:

Thursday, March 3
7 p.m.
Room 242 Bell Hall
University at Buffalo North Campus

Topic:

Randal will be talking about his new module CGI::Prototype and how it
makes Perl web application development easier. We have used this module
at UB and Randal has also used it with Geek Cruises
(http://geekcruises.com/), one of his other clients. You can find
details on CGI::Prototype on CPAN here:

http://search.cpan.org/~merlyn/CGI-Prototype-0.90/

There have also been discussions of this module on Perlmonks, where
there has been some controversy over why Randal developed this solution
rather than using CGI::Application.

Hope to see you all there.
Jim