[Buffalo-pm] Where to post perl programming question?

James Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Wed Sep 1 17:08:35 CDT 2004

On Sep 1, 2004, "Shankar, Ganesh" <Ganesh.Shankar at RoswellPark.org>
wrote:

> I'm new to perl and learning by running examples. I'm using a script
> from Programming Perl, 2nd edition, 2nd chapter.

While it *is* possible to teach yourself Perl from Programming Perl
(a.k.a. the "Camel book"), you should understand:
(a) you're not using the most recent edition (although the differences
between the 2nd and 3rd editions are probably few from the point of
view of a beginner), and (more importantly),
(b) while the Camel book is the standard reference work on the
language, other books are more focused on enabling you to *learn* Perl.
  The most frequent recommendations:  "Learning Perl" (3rd ed.) by
Randal L Schwartz and Tom Phoenix (a.k.a. the "Llama book"); "Effective
Perl Programming" by Joseph N Hall and Randal L Schwartz; and "Elements
of Programming with Perl" by Andrew L Johnson.

I worked my way through the Llama book when I was first learning Perl,
and then I turned around and assigned it as a textbook when I was
teaching an introductory level course.

Jim Keenan