[Buffalo-pm] BPM News

Kevin Christopher bpm at binarymojo.net
Tue Sep 16 23:02:12 CDT 2003

Buffalo PM News:

(1) Sept. 11 Meeting
(2) Trip to TO?

(1) Our September 11 Meeting:

If you missed last Thursday's meeting (Jim Brandt and Kevin Eye's talk on
mod_perl and FastCGI, a .ppt file is now available at
http://buffalo.pm.org. It was a great introduction and discussion from two
BPM members who use these tools in the real world to serve up dynamic
content fast on high-load UB sites.

Jim Brandt, who is the offical YAPC::2004 Coordinator, discussed the plans
for the conference, which will be held at UB, June 16-18. Info on our YAPC
wiki ( http://buffalo.pm.org/yapc ).

All present at our last meeting seemed to think that it would be a good
idea to have "lightning talks" for our next meeting on October 9. Lighting
talks are short, 5-min. talks on any Perl-related subject you want to
bring up: you can talk about a project your working on, a module you like,
problems, likes or dislikes about Perl, a syntax feature you find really
cool, etc. It's a great informal way to talk about the things about Perl
that interest you without the commitment of putting together a full-length
talk.

For some more info about what Perl lightning talks are all about, go to
http://perl.plover.com/lt/lightning-talks.html.

To add your name and topic to the list for the October meeting, go to
http://buffalo.pm.org/kwiki/admin.cgi?BuffaloLightningTalks

(2) Road Trip to TO?

If you want to try your hand at a lightning talk before October 9 (or just
go to meet Perl hackers on the other side of the border), all BPM members
are welcome to attend the next meeting of the Toronto Perl Mongers on
Thursday, September 25. If anyone else wants to go, I'm willing to drive
(have room for three or four people. The meeting begins at 6:45, so we'd
have to leave at 4 pm latest. If you're interested, please let me know by
the end of this weekend at the latest (Sunday,21st). You don't have to
commit to giving a lighting talk to go, but if that's your plan , you
should also sign up asap on the TPM list (see message in our mailing list
archives:
http://mail.pm.org/pipermail/buffalo-pm/2003-September/000074.html ).

Kevin Christopher
kevin at binarymojo.net