[Buffalo-pm] Malformed UTF-8 character...

fulko fhew3 at cogeco.ca
Thu Sep 4 17:29:44 CDT 2003

Daniel Magnuszewski wrote:

> When I try to run a script, I get the following error -
> which occurs within one of the packages (attached):
>
> Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected non-continuation
> byte 0x61, immediately after start byte 0xf1) at <filename> line 69.
>
> Can someone shed some light on this problem, and also any
> suggestions that would help correct this. The box is running
> RH 8.0 with Perl 5.8.0.

try:

export LANG=en_US

This will disable the automatic UTF handling that Perl currently does.
I understand fron the release notes that the next version of perl (5.8.1?)
may go back to having thios off by default, cause it breaks a bunch of things.

I got similarly caught twice by it this past month alone!