[Buffalo-pm] Update Perl embedded in C

Robert Raux robert_raux at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 18 09:39:22 CST 2003

First of all, I'd like to apologize to anyone who may have came late to
the last meeting.  Although you would have had to come 20 minutes
late...  We had to move to Higher Grounds because apparently Alternative
Brews does not allow persons under the age of 21 at their establishment
even if they are not purchasing beer.  This is something good to
remember for future meetings.

To those at the meeting last Thursday, I thought I would send a little
update of my status on embedding the perl interpreter, etc.

As much fun as I have had fiddling with C and Perl, I have finally
managed to get my goal written in all C.  This was after much effort and
much debugging however.  The only reason I needed to rewrite it in C was
because in this case Perl just wasn't fast enough.  I needed to be able
to read about 100 lines and parse it into a datastructure.  This had to
be repeated about 20 times a second.

To get a good laugh though, it took me about an hour to get my goal
working with the embedded perl interpreter in C and about 8-9 hours to
get the optimized C code working without the perl interpreter.

Funny, you can really write faster code in C, but you can always write
code faster in Perl, even if you EMBED IT !!! I can't remember the last
time I managed to segfault perl, now only if I could say the same for C.

Hope you enjoyed the long winded update.
--------

I would also like to inquire about December's meeting time, location,
and possible presentations.

Have a good day everyone,
Rob