[Buffalo-pm] CGI::Application presentation

Kevin Eye eye at buffalo.edu
Fri Jun 20 14:56:24 CDT 2003

While I'm quite familiar with Class::DBI, I think it's definitely a
good topic for part of the talk. Template toolkit is something we just
had a talk on from Jim Brandt, so maybe just showing how it ties in
with CGI::Application would be the best route to take there.

Also, I see I'm scheduled to talk about mod_perl in August. That's not
a problem - I can do it, but I stopped using it in place of FastCGI,
which is functionally very similar. I'd love to give a talk about the
general concept and then comparing the two if that sounds interesting.

  - Kevin

On Wednesday, June 18, 2003, at 03:49  PM, Jason Parker-Burlingham
wrote:

> Subscribers,
>
> I see from Kevin's message today that I'm to give a presentation next
> month.  The questions I have for the group regard what, exactly,
> members might like to see---remember that you don't need to turn up to
> benefit from the presentation (since I'm hoping to have copies of my
> materials available afterward).
>
> What I have to present is a couple of OO perl modules to model posts
> to a USENET newsgroup.  The database in use is postgres (I'm using a
> few of the more advanced features such as sequences) with Class::DBI
> providing a convenient abstraction for record creation, fetching and
> searching.  I have a script which sucks articles from an NNTP server
> into the database which shows how to use the objects without all the
> CGI stuff getting in the way.
>
> The other half of the application is CGI::Application; I've written a
> few apps this way now but the example I have for y'all is the most
> complex one which I'm allowed to show you---the others have been for
> clients.  There's no particularly tricky user-authentication or
> session tracking required---all the session data is in the URL---but I
> feel it's a pretty good example of what can be done with cgiapp in a
> few hours, especially the value of templating and instance scripts.
>
> The presentation layer is Template Toolkit, which complicates the
> cgiapp subclass a bit; this is probably what I'll choose to apply a
> little spit and polish to before showing it to the world since the
> templates right now are pretty basic and don't show off the full range
> of functionality I hope to one day support.
>
> In my presentation, I can talk about any one third of this for a
> reasonable amount of time or I can talk about all three parts---I
> don't mind which it will be.  A few replies to this message will help
> me to write the presentation for the audience (if you all know
> Class::DBI to death I don't necessarily want to spend too much time
> focussed on it).
>
> jason, who has other ideas for presentations but this one is probably
>        closest to ready for prime-time
> --
> Stay up-to-date on what I'm doing lately:
>                                  http://www.panix.com/~jasonp

Kevin Eye
Web Applications Developer
Creative Services and Marketing