[Buffalo-pm] CGI::Application presentation

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at panix.com
Wed Jun 18 14:49:35 CDT 2003

Subscribers,

I see from Kevin's message today that I'm to give a presentation next
month.  The questions I have for the group regard what, exactly,
members might like to see---remember that you don't need to turn up to
benefit from the presentation (since I'm hoping to have copies of my
materials available afterward).

What I have to present is a couple of OO perl modules to model posts
to a USENET newsgroup.  The database in use is postgres (I'm using a
few of the more advanced features such as sequences) with Class::DBI
providing a convenient abstraction for record creation, fetching and
searching.  I have a script which sucks articles from an NNTP server
into the database which shows how to use the objects without all the
CGI stuff getting in the way.

The other half of the application is CGI::Application; I've written a
few apps this way now but the example I have for y'all is the most
complex one which I'm allowed to show you---the others have been for
clients.  There's no particularly tricky user-authentication or
session tracking required---all the session data is in the URL---but I
feel it's a pretty good example of what can be done with cgiapp in a
few hours, especially the value of templating and instance scripts.

The presentation layer is Template Toolkit, which complicates the
cgiapp subclass a bit; this is probably what I'll choose to apply a
little spit and polish to before showing it to the world since the
templates right now are pretty basic and don't show off the full range
of functionality I hope to one day support.

In my presentation, I can talk about any one third of this for a
reasonable amount of time or I can talk about all three parts---I
don't mind which it will be.  A few replies to this message will help
me to write the presentation for the audience (if you all know
Class::DBI to death I don't necessarily want to spend too much time
focussed on it).

jason, who has other ideas for presentations but this one is probably
       closest to ready for prime-time
--
Stay up-to-date on what I'm doing lately:
                                 http://www.panix.com/~jasonp