[Brisbane-pm] Request for Expressions of interest in a regular Perl Mongers Meet-up

Ben Kolera ben.kolera at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 15:39:14 PDT 2012

I'll gladly come along, so long as it doesn't clash with BFPG (Bris Functional Programming Group) or YOW. Monthly meetings that are not in the last week of the month and definitely not on a Tuesday are best for me.

I don't know what everyone else would like to get out of starting up regular meetings, but I think that it would be a good idea to see a couple of talks aimed at complete novices to try to get some new perl faces around Brisbane.  I'd feel like we'd achieved something as a group if we could convince some non-perl devs, uni students and even maybe even some perl sysadmins ( ! ) that perl isn't what it was used to be 10 years ago and that modern perl is a damned good idea even when considering all the other fancy things currently out there ( well except for Haskell, that is,  but I promise not to harp on about that at PM ;D ).

Practical talks are great, but we shouldn't shy away from talking about horrible brain melting perl magic and cool tricks now and then if people have scary things to talk about. For me at least, it is sometimes nice to be completely impractical and jump in the deep end of something completely foreign to day-to-day coding.

If we need speakers I'll be available to speak about something, but not till after I present for BFPG sometime around June.

Cheers,
Ben