[Brisbane-pm] Still no Success in Installing Perl Modules on Mac OS X

Martin Jacobs martin_jacobs at optusnet.com.au
Sat Oct 6 06:26:57 PDT 2007

Dear Perlmongers,

I find it difficult to believe how difficult this has been.  Am I the
only person in the entire universe who wants to do a date time
calculation for dates before the Epoch (1970 for Mac and Linux, 1901
for Windows)?

To recap, it seems that I cannot do all the date/time calculations
with the 'standard' Perl on my Mac. The kind of date/time calculation
that I want to do is analogous to calculating how many seconds Queen
Victoria lived between her birth (say 4:00 pm  on 24th May 1854) and
her death (say 3:00 am on 22 Jan 1901); the point being that at least
one of these date/times are before the Epoch.

It seems that the 'standard' Perl can't do this calculation because
times and dates before the Epoch simply don't exist.

I have got into some private trouble-shooting correspondence with
some helpful Perl-Mongers, and I am very thankful for their efforts,
but I have come to a dead end.  The solution, so I understand, is to
install the Perl Module DateTime.pm. However, I am not having any
success in installing modules (for reasons that I have explained in
other correspondence).  We have explored several avenues, for example..

sudo perl –MCPAN –e shell
install Bundle::CPAN

or just

CPAN Params::Validate

I have tried changing permissions on directories...

sudo chmod a+rw /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/CPAN.pm

and even logging in as 'root', and trying everything all over again.

But I am getting the same error messages, which end up follows...

Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

This is a complete show-stopper, as far as my particular application
is concerned, and I don't want to get to the point where I am
regretting using Perl in the first place. I thought it would work as
a cross platform open source coding language - have I made the wrong
decision? If I have made the wrong decision, then I will have to
consign about 10 months of work to the trash.

Surely, there must be someone out there who has successfully
installed Perl modules on a Mac (OS X 10.4.10)?

I really need to hear how it is done, from someone who has actually
done it. The adage 'there's no reason why it should not work' simply
will not do.

Regards,
Martin
Visit my website...