[Brisbane-pm] Passing 2d Arrays ctd...

Martin Jacobs martin_jacobs at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 22 18:23:39 PST 2007

Hi Folks,

Thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier email. I have not
resolved the problem fully , but here's an interim response...

Thanks to Andrew Savage for pointing me to http://www.oreilly.com/
catalog/perlbp/chapter/index.html . Being new to Perl (in fact to any
modern programming language), this is the kind of thing I need to get
acquainted with. Indeed, establishing a 'best practice', or 'this is
how we do it' approach is very important to my project because I want
it to be 'hackable' by other engineers in my profession, and they
have even less understanding of Perl than me ( I had better add that
I want to make the calculations explicit for future interrogation and
reference, rather than hiding them away in a compiled program, so
even if my colleagues will not understand subs, refs and the like,
they can at least see that 1 + 1 = 2).

Thanks to the tip about $a. I was trying to avoid
$variables_with_really_long_names, but at least
$variables_with_really_long_names tell you what they are, and there's
little likelihood of confusing them with something that refers to
something else.

Some of you suggested I include some of the code. In future I will
but, to be honest, it looks pretty horrible at the moment because of
my rudimentary (but improving) knowledge of Perl. If I told you I am
only just beginning to understand references and regexes, you will
probably understand what I mean.

With regard to prototypes, I had started using them on the advice of
a friend of mine, who is a Perl geek. I don't have the experience to
argue the pros and cons, but I am willing to follow the advice in
Perl Best Practice (which is what I need to get to grips with in any
case).

Back to the drawing board...

Regards,
Martin