[Brisbane-pm] Introductions

Tony Obermeit whynot at optusnet.com.au
Wed Aug 4 14:40:29 CDT 2004

Hi,

I first discovered perl in 1997 and used it to automate the Oracle DB build
process for a large project at Brisbane City Council.  Perl enabled me to
take a process that took 1.5 days manually requiring the skills of a dba to
become an hour long process requiring the skills of a junior DBA.  Saving
that sort of time made me fall in love with the language and I went on to
develop a number cgi / oracle applications using perl.

Then I tried to take one of those applications and package it for easy
deployment on multiple platforms and I stopped using perl for applications
development and started using Java.  I still use perl occasionally for
scripting and gluing together disparate applications.  I no longer use perl
for build process automation after discovering ant.

I work at Oracle corporation in Brisbane on the Web ADI / Desktop
Integration project.  We use Java as our primary development language but
do use perl for scripting and gluing.

Even though I've switched to Java (and am still happy with the switch), I
still think perl is a great language.

cheers

Tony