[BNE-PM] Brisbane Perl Programmer wanted (for short-term contract)

Derek Thomson derek at wedgetail.com
Sun Sep 29 21:06:09 CDT 2002

David Bussenschutt wrote:
> DETAILS:         Section of Griffith University, Nathan Campus is seeking
> a Perl programmer to work on a project of approximately 1 month in length.
> The work is of strategic importance to the University. You would be
> manipulating data, generating reports, and involved in system development
> ( in Perl ).

And it has to be done in ONE LINE!!

:)

> P.S. If you can write reasonable perl (you don't need to be a guru!), and
> you are in prisbane, this one's for you.     We're not really fussy, as we
> need "immediate start", but you must know perl.  Did I mention PERL.?

Let we get this straight - you're saying you need to know Perl?

But I'm *still confused* Is that Perl, perl or PERL? :)

This is in the FAQ somewhere. Basically, Perl is the language, perl is
the interpreter, and PERL doesn't exist.

Okay, PERL exists *now*. See the Inline::PERL module:

http://search.cpan.org/author/JMCNAMARA/Acme-Inline-PERL-0.01/PERL.pm

It's pretty funny. From the description of the module:

   Inline::PERL gives you the power of the PERL programming language from
   within your Perl programs. This gives you instant access to hundreds
   of pre-coded applications such as bulletin boards, hit counters and
   shopping carts.

   PERL is a programming language for writing CGI applications. It's main
   strength is that it doesn't have any unnecessary warnings or
   strictures. It is a direct descendent of Perl, a programming language
   which was used mainly by programmers. However, the original language
   required too much reading and thinking and so PERL was developed as a
   language which was more in tune with the requirements of the Internet
   age.

You could *also* say that PERL (all upper case) is really pronounced
PHP, if you wanted to take a cheap shot at PHP :)

--
D.