[BNE-PM] The Perl one-liner

Mike Bissett paran01d at operamail.com
Wed Sep 18 21:26:52 CDT 2002

> Mike, can you please post to the list, not just to me?
That way, the
> discussion benefits everyone. Again, I'm replying to the
list. Call me
> rude, but I don't want to explain BEGIN and END twice!

Sorry my reply button keeps defaulting to the person
instead of the list, oh to be rid of this crappy webmail
soon.....

> Is this for some other problem? Context, please!

Just thought it would be useful to call from scripts etc..
though your right about righting it a s a seperate program
etc.

> If you wanted to do this for some reason, wouldn't it
just be:

> $ ls | perl -e '$p = shift @ARGV; while (<>) {print if
/$p/}' Foo

Unfortunately this doesnt work perl assumes the Foo to be
a file for interpreting, i found the -s option but that
doesnt seem to work either.. its probably more useless
than i thought anyway :)

Thanks

Mike Bissett

Download the FREE Opera browser at www.opera.com/download/