[BNE-PM] Re: corba & j2ee

Derek Thomson derek at wedgetail.com
Thu Aug 22 22:29:32 CDT 2002

Don.Simonetta at mincom.com wrote:

> Hi Derek,
> Good to see you retained enough brain cells after that "meeting" to
> remember that jab :-)
>
> OK I admit it - I had no idea that CORBA played a part in J2EE. Sounds
> like you'll have to start with the basics when you get around to doing
> your talk on the perl ORB to the brisabne.pm community.

It's something I learned only a few weeks ago. Imagine my suprise! So it
turns out that my little experimental Perl ORB might have a whole new
application domain to play in, once I implement the rest of the CORBA
2.0 types.

And I've built two CORBA Object Transaction Services [OTS] in the dim
dark past (one for HP, and one for OOC/IONA), so suddenly I'm a JTS
expert as well :)

I really want to build an OTS/JTS in Perl now, as it's perfect for the
job i.e. the important thing is easy database integration, and Perl has
that in spades. Performance doesn't matter, as it's limited by the disk
writes needed as you start and end transactions. As long as that's the
bottleneck, the runtime cost of Perl won't enter into it (I think). And
the world *really* needs a trule portable, free OTS/JTS. I don't think
you can sensibly do distributed computing without one.

But since they've banned human cloning, I probably won't get to that for
some time :)

--
D.