[BNE-PM] What do you use Perl for?

Chris Davey chris at hotmince.com
Tue Aug 20 07:12:22 CDT 2002

I use perl day to day at work for simple web applications, website replication, template management and with mysql.

For my own interests I use perl with xml and the ming modules (http://ming.sourceforge.net) mainly because I arrived at this computing thing through an interest in graphics.

Some examples of weird and wonderful projects can be found at http://cd.xbolt.net (see the projects section). The ming libs generate SWF output so you will need the flash 5+ plugin, if you're interested. I'd say the most interesting thing I've had a chance to do with perl is the project I've called "fwalk" (http://cd.xbolt.net/cgi-bin/fwalk.pl).

Missed the get togethor on Tuesday have alot of nasty documentation to write at the moment...due to that fact, I am not human for the next week or so...

Chris

--- "David Bussenschutt" <d.bussenschutt at mailbox.gu.edu.au> wrote:
>Ah, Packaging a perl app (and all  dependancies) into a single binary
>perhaps?   Well, that's easy..use PerlApp..it's .just not completely free.
>  I'm normally opposed to non-free products, but I gave this one a go out
>of necessity, and it's really good, and well supported (and not a bad
>price either).
>
>PerlApp is part of the activestate Perl Developers Kit, and has versions
>for HP-UX, Linux, Solaris, and Windows
>http://www.activestate.com/Products/Perl_Dev_Kit/
>
>I bundle a couple of my perl Tk apps up into a single .exe each, and then
>corporately we use them on all the other non perl-ized Windose PC's.
>
>Internally it's not brain surgery at all, really quite
>simple....internally, it figures out all module dependancies at the source
>level, and then includes all of them, and the perl binary into one .exe
>file that extracts the modules/source into memory at runtime.
>
>I'm just a happy customer.
>
>David.
>(  P.S. sorry i didn't make it to the get-together...still at
>work...writing perl ;-)   )

>David Bussenschutt        Email: D.Bussenschutt at mailbox.gu.edu.au
>Senior Computing Support Officer & Systems Administrator/Programmer
>RedHat Certified Engineer.
>Member of Systems Administrators Guild of Australia.
>Location: Griffith University. Information Technology Services
>           Brisbane Qld. Aust.  (TEN bldg. rm 1.33) Ph: (07)38757079
>

>Derek Thomson <derek at wedgetail.com>
>Sent by: owner-brisbane-pm-list at pm.org
>20/08/2002 04:15 PM
>

>        To:     Mike Bissett <paran01d at operamail.com>
>        cc:     brisbane-pm-list at happyfunball.pm.org
>        Subject:        Re: [BNE-PM] What do you use Perl for?
>

>Mike Bissett wrote:
>>
>> This isnt a flame war its more like tennis, I count 2
>> games to 1 match point to Derek and perl :)) (i could be a
>> bit biased towards perl though).
>
>No, I don't think we've descended into flame war territory just yet. I'm
>genuinely interested in knowing, if I was asked to do a web application,
>why I shouldn't just use Perl. Some interesting reasons are coming out
>of the woodwork, like packaging.
>
>--
>D.

HOTMINCE -- Free Email anywhere.