[BNE-PM] What do you use Perl for?

David Bussenschutt d.bussenschutt at mailbox.gu.edu.au
Tue Aug 20 04:31:39 CDT 2002

Ah, Packaging a perl app (and all  dependancies) into a single binary
perhaps?   Well, that's easy..use PerlApp..it's .just not completely free.
  I'm normally opposed to non-free products, but I gave this one a go out
of necessity, and it's really good, and well supported (and not a bad
price either).

PerlApp is part of the activestate Perl Developers Kit, and has versions
for HP-UX, Linux, Solaris, and Windows
http://www.activestate.com/Products/Perl_Dev_Kit/

I bundle a couple of my perl Tk apps up into a single .exe each, and then
corporately we use them on all the other non perl-ized Windose PC's.

Internally it's not brain surgery at all, really quite
simple....internally, it figures out all module dependancies at the source
level, and then includes all of them, and the perl binary into one .exe
file that extracts the modules/source into memory at runtime.

I'm just a happy customer.

David.
(  P.S. sorry i didn't make it to the get-together...still at
work...writing perl ;-)   )

David Bussenschutt        Email: D.Bussenschutt at mailbox.gu.edu.au
Senior Computing Support Officer & Systems Administrator/Programmer
RedHat Certified Engineer.
Member of Systems Administrators Guild of Australia.
Location: Griffith University. Information Technology Services
           Brisbane Qld. Aust.  (TEN bldg. rm 1.33) Ph: (07)38757079

Derek Thomson <derek at wedgetail.com>
Sent by: owner-brisbane-pm-list at pm.org
20/08/2002 04:15 PM