[BNE-PM] What do you use Perl for?

Derek Thomson derek at wedgetail.com
Tue Aug 20 00:19:26 CDT 2002

Don.Simonetta at mincom.com wrote:

> Good question Derek.
> The only "good" reason I can think of is the level of commercial support
> for the technologies.

Commercial support for Java is a bit of a non-sequitor. I've submitted
quite a few bugs to Sun WRT the Swing toolkit that were never fixed,
last I looked.

The reality is that Sun only have N people supporting Java, and I'm
betting N is an order of magnitude smaller than the hordes that support
Perl, based on my experience getting issues resolved with both.

You can also buy commercial support, if that helps with tick-a-box
management, but I'd never imagine needing it ...

> I suppose its a bit like saying "why are you
> buying a $200k Ferrari when you can build a faster car from a kit for
> less than $50k".

A slightly better analogy - "Why buy a Ferrari for $200K when you can
have instantaneous matter transport for nothing?"

Answer: Because a Ferrari is "cool", even though it takes you much
longer to get anywhere :)

Regards,
Derek.