[BNE-PM] What do you use Perl for?

Don.Simonetta at mincom.com Don.Simonetta at mincom.com
Mon Aug 19 23:46:05 CDT 2002

Good question Derek.
The only "good" reason I can think of is the level of commercial support
for the technologies. I suppose its a bit like saying "why are you buying
a $200k Ferrari when you can build a faster car from a kit for less than
$50k". Apart from suppotability all other arguments would probably be
non-technical.

Tony Obermeit wrote:
> Previously
> I used perl for all three of these areas, now I use java for application

> development, ant for build scripts and perl for ad-hoc scripts.

Okay, my question is: what technical reason is there for using Java for
web applicatoins instead of Perl?

I haven't ever done any web applications, so I really don't know, but my
experience with Java is that it's large, slow, not very portable really,
and the database integration support just doesn't measure up to Perl's
DBI module, and it takes a *lot* more code to get anywhere.

That was in 1999, maybe things have changed (but I still have to run
Java GUIs that are too slow and suck up 46M!!). Is there any real
advantage over, say Apache + mod_perl + Perl?

Regards,
Derek.

--
This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is confidential information.  If you have received this transmission in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  The contents of this e-mail are the opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of companies unless expressly stated otherwise.