[BNE-PM] What do you use Perl for?

Mike Bissett paran01d at operamail.com
Mon Aug 19 20:26:43 CDT 2002

Well,
	Ive used perl since I was at high school,
generally for dynamic template driven websites with and
sql backeds (the most famous site I can claim a hand to is
the register - http://www.theregister.co.uk) which uses
perl and mysql. At present where I work now (queensland
government) we use perl to interface with our LDAP and
X500 direcrtory services. We use perl to deal with
replication, management, email updates, direct updates and
of course for the background for the web frontends for
browsing and updates. Id never user Directories like LDAP
before i came here and now i wish id used them for most of
the stuff ive done before, there great. My favourite
modules must be DBI::, Template::Toolkit, mod_perl and
Date::Manip ( i know Date::Manip is slow but you can give
it next tuesday as an input date and it works !!).

I always seem to end up making web based diaries and
organisers...

Mike Bissett