[BNE-PM] Re: visiting Sydney Feb 15th to 20th

Tim Maher/CONSULTIX tim at consultix-inc.com
Sun Feb 6 12:24:01 CST 2000

On Sun, Feb 06, 2000 at 09:22:44PM +1100, skud at netizen.com.au wrote:
> I'll be in Sydney running some corporate Perl training from the 15th to
> the 20th.  Is anything happening mongers-wise during that time?

I've been pondering the same question, but for different dates!
(see below)

> K.
> --
> Kirrily Robert -- <skud at netizen.com.au> -- http://netizen.com.au/
> Internet and Open Source Development, Consulting and Training
> Level 13, 500 Collins St, Melbourne VIC 3000
> Phone: +61 3 9614 0949  Fax +61 3 9614 0948

I'll be in Sydney from March 22-26 (and all over the country for the
following weeks), and was wondering if any Perl Mongering might be
in the offing.  I've perused all the PM-related web pages for the
"Bottom End" of Australia, and from what I can see, only Sydney
has a regular meeting, and I'm going to miss that one.   Shucks!
(traditional American saying 8-})

By contrast, our Seattle Perl Users Group (one of the world's oldest;
the sixth Perl group to form) has garnered so much interest that
we've just spawned a separate chapter with its own meeting schedule
for the East-side of town (only 9 miles away)!

What's the deal with you Antipodean Mongers?  Don't you like to
gather together and share your knowledge (about Hashes, beer, etc.)
like we do?

Or is it just that Perl isn't yet appreciated down under?  And if
Perl isn't appreciated, could it be that the other state of the
art open-software solutions (Linux, Apache, etc.)  aren't either?
A shocking thought ...  Are your MIS people still working through
the mindset that "corporate software is best"?

I've even heard that your own Damian Conway, clearly one of the
world's leading Perl experts and current OOP champion, doesn't even
get to teach Perl at Monash U, but instead has to teach C++ and other
traditional languages.  Could it be true?

"It's your shout!"

-Tim
|  Tim Maher, Ph.D.           Tel/Fax: (206) 781-UNIX    |
|  SPUG Founder & Leader      Email: spug at halcyon.com    |
|  Seattle Perl Users Group   HTTP: www.halcyon.com/spug |
| Tim Maher, PhD  Consultix &              (206) 781-UNIX/8649           |
|  Pacific Software Gurus, Inc             Email: tim at consultix-inc.com  |
|  UNIX/Linux & Perl Training              http://www.consultix-inc.com  |
| 2/22: UNIX  2/28: Perl Modules  2/29: Int. Perl  3/3: Pattern Matching |