[BNE-PM] me

Shane Brown s1.brown at qut.edu.au
Tue May 11 19:44:05 CDT 1999

Hi,

having recently joined the list, I thought it only
fitting to warn|tell you about myself.

I'm a Capricorn, I like long walks on the beach, my
turn-ons are ... oops, wrong self.

I'm a long term PhD drone, having been 2 weeks away
from completion for the last 2 years or so (I keep
forgetting that it needs 2 weeks of work, not 2
weeks of saying 'tomorrow ... I'll do some tomorrow').
The basic problem - an apparently pathological lack of
interest in "sleep/circadian factors and their relationships
with proactive interference".

Currently I work in the School of Management at QUT:
Research projects, swearing at the windows version
of SPSS (piece of dog blowing #%&@#^ crap), and performing
text/content analysis. As you might have guessed, the latter
prompted my self-introduction to Perl.

I would like to think I've come a long way from my first
coding *success*. It was a complex web of redundant
data, mangled algorithms and array slurped 30 meg files,
spawned by minimal competence in a development process most
closely matching voodoo. It ate my 300 meg NT paging file
and burped for more than an hour. It also worked ....
I was hooked.

Now I'm a bit more sophisticated. I still get scared by
the eval'ed closures I used for multiple regexes ; I haven't
tried any OO stuff yet ; I forget basic syntax with
frightening regularity... but I'm getting better. Really!
My main focus now is on creating more comprehensive text
analysis tools, and becoming more Perl proficient. I still
don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

...anyway I'll end before you are unable to read through
tears of boredom. On with stuff and thing.

Shane.

Shane Brown                    s1.brown at qut.edu.au
School of Management/ACSM           (07) 3864 2790
Queensland University of Technology        Z913,GP
"All Hail Punchy the Robot"