[BNE-PM] undump

Gordon Fletcher G.Fletcher at mailbox.gu.edu.au
Wed Jul 28 19:56:54 CDT 1999

I went on a hunt for undump a while ago now to no success. Although at
the time the work on compiler was being presented as the 'better' way of
going when it was working properly. but I would be interested also if
there is any knowledge of this.

I was of the understanding that 5.005 (or was that 5.006) would have the
compiler included as part of the core. But it appears that much effort
has been directed towards matching up the win32 versions with unix.

I also got an announcement yesterday about a new book that is coming out
specifically about Perl/OO (it isn't O'Reillys). I include a small
snippet (their copywriter seems to understand the meaning of the word
hype) ...

Object Oriented Perl
by Damian Conway

               A V A I L A B L E   A U G U S T   1 9 9 9

   "I've waited years for the perfect object-oriented Perl book to use
    for our Stonehenge corporate and open training, and the wait is
    now over. Damian Conway has written a comprehensive guide, ..."
                -- Randal L. Schwartz, from the Foreword

Greenwich, CT, July 1999   Manning Publications is pleased to announce
the release of the first book devoted to object-oriented programming
with Perl. Object Oriented Perl, written by a talented writer and Perl
expert, Damian Conway, is expected to become a classic of the Perl
literature.

Perl is known as a great language for "throw-away" programming--hacking
quick solutions to urgent tasks. More recently, Perl is showing its
strengths as an effective language for developing large, robust, and
reusable solutions to complex, real-life problems. This book teaches
object-oriented techniques that will help developers write cleaner,
more readable and more maintainable Perl programs.