[Brazosvalley-pm] Apress User Group Newsletter--Early Fall Edition

Jeremy Fluhmann jeremy at msc.tamu.edu
Tue Oct 24 07:20:18 PDT 2006

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Apress User Group Newsletter
Issue 7; Fall, 2006

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sections:

1. Let's Catch Up
2. Apress "firstPress"
3. The friends of ED Flash Video Contest-"Video:FLV'ED"
4. The User Group Page Has Got What You Need
5. Don't Forget the Apress SuperIndex
6. The Latest betaBooks
7. Recent Apress and friends of ED Books--Hot Off the Press
8. Forthcoming Books--Early Winter Releases
9. Upcoming Tradeshows
10. It's Not Too Late to Join the Apress Affiliate Program

has launched "Freeweb," and from now through December 2006, ASP Today
will feature the two newest articles for free, so that each article will
be free to view from time of publication until a newer free article
publishes and converts the previous-but-one to subscriber-only viewing.
Check it out today: http://asptoday.com/.

B. Updating User Group Information

Attention group leaders and office holders, just a quick reminder that
if there have been any significant changes to group information, please
take a moment to send me updates. This might include a change in group
leader or president, a new e-mail or shipping address, or a change in
book review policy. Please help me keep my records up to date. E-mail me
at janet at apress.com.

***************************************

2. Apress "firstPress"

Apress welcomes its new firstPress series-technical briefs in PDF format
about underexplored or emerging technologies that could prove critical
in tomorrow's industry. firstPress documents are meant to help shape
your direction as a developer and get you ahead of the game by giving
you key information to budding topics as early as possible.

At around 50-150 pages, firstPress documents fall somewhere between the
size of an article and a traditional Apress book. And these firstPress
briefings are complete works--polished and ready for perusal as soon as
you download them. Please continue to visit this page, as additional
firstPress briefings emerge:
http://www.apress.com/ecommerce/firstpress.html.

The inaugural firstPress document is

"LINQ for Visual C# 2005"
By Fabio Claudio Ferracchiati
November 2006 | ISBN: 1-59059-826-1 | 150 pages | $19.99

***************************************

3. The friends of ED Flash Video Contest-"Video:FLV'ED"

friends of ED (an Apress company) has been your Flash book resource
since 2000. In celebration of the latest Flash title, "Foundation Flash
8 Video" (June 2006), friends of ED is hosting a contest to see what you
can create by bringing video and Flash together.

Your task is to simultaneously promote friends of ED and/or its books
and demonstrate what the Flash platform is capable of. The grand prize
is an Apple MacBook!

You have until December 31, 2006, to submit your project. Please go here
for more essential information about the contest:
http://www.friendsofed.com/flved/.

***************************************

4. The User Group Page Has Got What You Need

I receive a lot of good questions from user group leaders and members.
Some of these questions already have built-in answers available on our
web site, and here are some of the most common:

Q: How do I and group members take advantage of the user group book
discount?

A: All group members** of a registered Apress user group may receive a
25% discount to any Apress or friends of ED title when the book is
purchased through our distributor, Springer.

(Place your order with our distributor, Springer, by calling
1-800-SPRINGER. Once you connect with a customer service representative,
please mention the discount code, "APRESSUG" along with the name of your
user group.)

** We apologize, but at this time, we are unable to honor this discount
to user group members located outside of North and South America,
Mexico, and the Caribbean.

Q: May I have an Apress logo to post on our group web site?