[Brazosvalley-pm] book review - pragmatic version control

Jeremy Fluhmann jeremy at msc.tamu.edu
Thu Nov 16 14:54:05 PST 2006

I finally finished reading "Pragmatic Version Control, Second Edition:
Using Subversion".  It's available in our group library if anyone wants
to read it.  Don't forget that you get a 35% discount on book purchases
at O'Reilly using the discount code: DSUG

Here's my review:

Pragmatic Version Control, Second Edition

Using Subversion

By Mike Mason

Second Edition May 2006

Publisher: Pragmatic Bookshelf

ISBN: 0-9776166-5-7

Pages: 256

Price: $34.95 USD

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/0977616657/

In his book, "Pragmatic Version Control", Mike Mason starts with
explaining what version control is and why you need it.  My current
employer changed from using CVS to Subversion.  I had no experience with
either one, and began stumbling through using Subversion without any
base knowledge of how to use it.  I started reading this book and
immediately began feeling comfortable in the new environment.  Mike
Mason does a very good job of explaining things in a way that anyone new
to Subversion, or version control for that matter, can easily understand
and start using without any problems.  Mike walks through a tutorial of
setting up a new installation of subversion, creating a repository, and
checking in and out projects.  He covers everything from the most common
commands, to file locking, to using third-party software.

This book uses a "recipe"-based approach to learning Subversion.  I'm
the kind of guy that learns by example and that's exactly what this book
does.  I would highly recommend this book to anyone considering using a
version control system.  As I mentioned, I've never used CVS or any of
the alternative versioning systems, but with this book, Subversion just
seems so easy and simple to use.  And, if you are currently using CVS,
this book walks through the procedure and steps required for migrating
from CVS to Subversion.  Mike also explains some of the differences
between the two systems and points them out throughout the book.  The
appendixes are packed full of in-depth information and additional
examples, including advanced repository management and securing
Subversion.  Wow, an entire book full of Subversion, I'd say Mike covers
it all.

Jeremy Fluhmann
Programmer/Analyst
Memorial Student Center
Texas A&M University
979-845-8893
jeremy at msc.tamu.edu

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this
information is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail transmission
in error, please notify me by telephone or via return e-mail and delete
this e-mail from your system.