[boulder.pm] DSL in Boulder

Melvin, Lee lee_melvin at mentorg.com
Mon Sep 16 10:53:48 CDT 2002

I used to have Qwest/Qwest.net ISDN and endured unannounced 2-4 hour
downtimes at least once a month.  About a year ago I changed to
Covad/Megapath IDSL and the service has been rock solid -- the entire
time I've been a subscriber there's been one downtime, which was
announced a week ahead of time and was 1/4 the time they reserved (1/2
hour downtime vs 2 hours announced).

Qwest recently made full DSL available in my area, and AT&T has cable
modem now as well.  Both are faster and cheaper than IDSL ($80/month,
ugh), but I'm reluctant to give up Megapath.  I've had a couple friends
suggest that Qwest DSL is OK, Qwest.net ISP is not so hot -- so if I
went with FRII or Indra through Qwest I'd be OK.  I'd love to hear
opinions from anyone using Qwest DSL -- particularly latency, since I'm
an unrecovering gamer in off hours.

But to answer your question, I'd suggest looking into Megapath DSL in
your area (http://www.megapath.net).  Previously I used Indra's Net
(http://www.indra.com) and their service and support is fantastic, but
latency wasn't so great (only an issue if you're a gamer).  I also have
several friends who use (and/or work for) Front Range Internet Inc.
(http://www.frii.com).

    - Lee