[boulder.pm] meeting?

Chip Atkinson chip at rmpg.org
Tue Sep 3 14:40:59 CDT 2002

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Rob Nagler wrote:

> Chip Atkinson writes:
> > It's not something sophisticated, but it's what we have.  We have to use
> > cgi-bin scripts rather than php.
>
> How about considering mod_perl?  It's faster and more reliable than
> cgi imo.

I remember looking at mod_perl, but don't remember why not.  I think it
was one of those things where I was totally fed up with some things and
didn't want to deal with it.

> > The two main reasons for this are that
> > it's the way it's been done in the past and that our version of Oracle
> > (7.x) doesn't work with php.  Actually php seems to have a bug in it that
> > prevents reliable data retrieval from Oracle.  Also, we weren't able to
> > integrate perldb either due to some problems building.  I think our oracle
> > installation is a bit weird too.
>
> We have seen some instability with the later versions of the Perl
> DBD::Oracle driver, too.  Nothing we've bothered to track down right
> now, i.e. consider this a weak rumor.  Older DBD is rock solid,
> however.  Oracle itself does corrupt the DB on occassion, but only the
> indexes thus far.

I wish I had been able to get that far.  I was having trouble building the
module at all.  My biggest concern/worry is whether or not I'm approaching
the problem in the best way.  I decided to try the PHP approach with a
reentrant script that loops through and prints out different text based on
the type of page I was and wanted to display.

Chi