[boulder.pm] error handling

Walter Pienciak walter at frii.com
Fri Feb 1 09:42:19 CST 2002

I have a question about error handling.  Most of my work is CGI-related
stuff, and once upon a time I migrated to some custom code (let's call
it exeunt() that I'd call when s* hit the fan:

   &do_this_thing or exeunt("No!  do_this_thing failed: $!");

and then exeunt would send a very bland screen to the browser
("Gosh, we're SO sorry, but something unexpected just happened.
If it'll make you feel better, feel free to contact somebody at righthere.com,
but the system just sent him an e-mail about it.") and in the background
I'd be sent a nice e-mail with the system/program in the Subject line
and some details in the body like the line number in the program where it
happened and whatever error message retrieved out of $! and its ilk.

But times have changed, a lot, and I am wondering lazily what
mechanisms people use for this kind of error handling, and how
they like it.

Walter