[Boulder.pm] one piece of advice

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Mon Dec 16 22:09:52 CST 2002

* On 2002-12-17 03:53 Chip Atkinson <chip at rmpg.org> wrote:
> The biggest problem that we at work in the IT department face is chronic
> under-estimation of the time required to complete a task.  There are many
> symptoms/causes, but the end result is nearly always disaster.
> Specifically, what's been going on is that we think something will take "4
> hours" to complete.  The problems are that it's only an estimate on how
> long it takes to get the first iteration on the "core" part of the task.
> The other iterations are ignored, as are the steps necessary to automate
> and integrate the finished core into our system, including the billing
> parts.

I use a couple of different techniques to reduce this problem:
   1) I try an break the task down into the smallest pieces possible, then
   ask 'What am I forgetting?'. This helps to avoid the scope problem.

   2) I track how long it took to do a task, and use that as a baseline for
   estimating similar things in the future.

It's similar to the _Discipline for Software Engineering_ by Watts
Humphrey, but not nearly so rigorous.

Also, I try to be very clear about the parts of the task I'm comfortable
estimating closely, and the parts which I'm not so sure about how long
their going to take.

                            http://www.tummy.com/