[boulder.pm] Gathering anyone?

Jim Baker boulder-pm at jim-baker.com
Mon Nov 5 17:06:32 CST 2001

Mondays or Fridays work for me.  I'm also constrained to being somewhere
else (around the Pearl St Mall vs the Perl Playground) at 6 PM this Friday,
in a more or less sweat-free state :)

Disk golf.  I remember playing this once or twice in elementary school.
Expect high angular and radial errors from me if we do indeed play.

Damian Conway.  He's currently planning his tour for 2002, with a possible
stop in Denver.  I personally would like for him to talk about "little
languages", which as I understand it, are scoped extensions to the Perl
syntax.  Here's how you might use it: a typical way of providing for
flexible configurations for your favorite framework is to use a multilevel
structure, say a list of hashes of hashes, etc.  But the syntax of this can
get overwhelming to your configuring users (although it provides such nice
power as say arbitrary code to build the config data, dumping it out with
Data::Dumper, or reflection so you can use regexes, objects, or lexical
closures as callbacks).  Look at the Tk interface, for example.

So you'd like to provide a little language where this complexity is hidden
in the syntax sugar.  Unfortunately, your stand-alone little language
rapidly gets over whelmed, and you wish you had Perl at your disposal.  An
embedded little language in Perl gets the desired power, while still
providing for the hooks.  Or something like that.  Conway is planning on
supporting something like this with Parse::Perl and Parse::FastDescent.

So that's my suggestion for a Conway talk.  But I'm sure there are other
possibilities too, even the crowd-pleasing Superpositions talk.

- Jim