[boulder.pm] Ruby programmers?

Jonathan Conway rise at frii.com
Wed Jan 10 12:25:34 CST 2001

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Walter Pienciak wrote:

> Is anyone doing any programming in Ruby?

You should have mentioned something on the hike...

I picked up "Programming Ruby" a few weeks back and I've been playing
around with it when I want to take a break . I like the clean syntax,
coroutines, iterators, the more OO nature of the language (by comparison
with Perl), decent multithreading, neat little tricks like if and unless
expressions returning their result, a simple but useful exception
mechanism, Safe levels, and that it looks and feels a lot like Perl. There
are a few things that really get on my nerves: 0 and the empty string are
true, the scoping rules are counterintuitive in some places, and the
advantages you get from choosing an OO model for the language come at the
expense of making it harder to implement a different model in it.

Jonathan