[boulder.pm] advisory locking

Walter Pienciak walter at frii.com
Fri Jan 5 11:21:18 CST 2001

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Martin Lichtin wrote:

> > Any other suggestions, comments, criticisms, out there?  We do run CVS,
> > but that's a pretty heavy solution for some things, and I whacked this
> > together to give the admins an example of locking code.
>
> Is the locking working over NFS or similar network file systems?
> Not sure if that's an issue in your case.

Hi, Martin,

Not an issue for us.  Local system users only.  The only brand of
NFS we'd use would be CFS (cryptographic file system), but since that
would be for a single user only, I wouldn't guess that locking would be
an issue.  (Of course, we all have really bad days . . . ;^)

This code is actually a really fine example of "things that can go wrong
when your fingers are faster than your brain", now that I look at it.
As example locking code, it's okay; as a production locking mechanism,
it's wholly inadequate.

Walter