[boulder.pm] advisory locking

Walter Pienciak walter at frii.com
Fri Jan 5 10:52:16 CST 2001

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Rob Nagler wrote:

> > basically a wrapper around vi (or $EDITOR), which uses advisory locking
>
> One of things you might consider is making the file read-only during/after
> edits.  This way novice users will have to use nicevi to edit and "can't"
> accidentally use vi.
>
> Rob

Hi, Rob,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'd been considering the minimal solution of
just using a shell alias

    alias vi /opt/bin/nicevi

but building another safeguard into the script is a good idea.

Any other suggestions, comments, criticisms, out there?  We do run CVS,
but that's a pretty heavy solution for some things, and I whacked this
together to give the admins an example of locking code.

Walter