[boulder.pm] bounced e-mail from Rob

Walter Pienciak walter at frii.com
Sun Aug 19 13:27:08 CDT 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 19:57:01 -0500
From: owner-boulder-pm-list at pm.org
To: boulder-pm-list-approval at pm.org
Subject: BOUNCE boulder-pm-list at pm.org:    Non-member submission from [Rob
    Mohr <robmohr at earthnet.net>]

>From walter at frii.com Sat Aug 18 19:57:01 2001
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 18:55:56 -0600 (MDT)
From: Rob Mohr <robmohr at earthnet.net>

Hola! pm list,

I have a slow moving project to self study on perl.  I am now at the point
to use perl for cgi purposes.  The text is a bit unclear in that it tells
me to put the html Hello World perl script into the proper ISP directory,
change it to executable, and add a cgi "wrapper."  The text then pointly
states to contact the ISP admin for site specific directions.

I contacted my ISP last Monday, Earthnet.  All my sys op did was to create
a directory under  my /public_html of cgi-bin , then move my script into
it with a .cgi file extension.  He then said "done."  Well, I get a 403
permission denied error.  And on an unanswered follow up post, my sys op
did not explain any thing regarding wrapper calls.

What is the the proper file extension for cgi scripts? *.cgi?
What is the proper permission?
How do I run the cgi script?  use a url file name convention? (book hinted
this.)

Please note, I did a google search on cgi wraps and received info to mark
the file as executable, then http://isp.com/seo-bin/chmod (wait for user
name-password prompt.)  I tried this with my isp and got a no file found
message.

Thanks list guys-gals. Rob Mohr Boulder-Iowa City
eof
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
print "Content-type text/html\n";
print "\n";