[boulder.pm] Socket troubles

rise rise at ipopros.com
Tue Sep 19 11:48:07 CDT 2000

> At this point the client should send something back to the server, but it
> doesn't get there.  I read that autoflushing is built in when using
> IO::Socket (which I am, in version 5.003) so I'm assuming that there is
> something else I'm forgetting to do.  But I don't know enough about IO to
> say for sure that all the flushing that needs doing is being done.  Any
> ideas out there?

I would tend to think that you're right about flushing being a potential
source of the problem, but without the socket related source sections of
your code I couldn't tell you more (the parts that use the socket are less
relevant than those that set them up). I'd suggest if you haven't done so
already that you grab your copy of "The Perl Cookbook" and start running
through the examples in chapter 17 (Sockets) for places they're doing it
differently. Recipe 17.3 - Non-Forking Servers - is likely to be
particularly useful since they jump through hoops with select to do
non-blocking I/O with a bunch of PF_INET domain sockets (though it should
be easy enough to adapt to PF_UNIX domain if that's what you need.

--

Jonathan Conway			Remember, it's always darkest when you've
Senior DBA 			decremented to #000000 and you're about to