[boulder.pm] Perl FDF Toolkit

Walter Pienciak walter at frii.com
Wed Jun 14 11:25:32 CDT 2000

Hi, Kyle,

Wow, those Adobe installation instructions are sloppy, and wrong.
You think they'd get it straight!

Anyway, I can't quite tell whether you're doing a system-wide or
personal installation, based on your paths.

Here's what I just did to do a system-wide (not private) install of the
module, and it seems to work -- at least, a bobo program consisting of

    #!/opt/bin/perl -wT

    use Acrobat::FDF;
    exit 0;

"ran" without any error output.

1)  Download, uncompress, and untar the files from Adobe.
2)  cd into the source distribution's lib/Perl/Unix   There'll be
    some directories for differnet platforms (we'll call yours $ARCH)
    and a few files.
3)  Run the command

      perl InstallAdvice.pl

    Ignore the "error" output -- it's part of a "print <<END"
    statement.  (What the hell are they doing?)

    Everyone's paths will vary some, but you'll see 2 basic patterns
    in their gobbledygook:

    - something shorter like
        /opt/lib/perl5/Acrobat/
        /root/perl5/Acrobat/
      which I'll generalize to $FOO/Acrobat/

    - something long and funky like
        /opt/lib/perl5/sun4-solaris/5.004/auto/Acrobat/FDF/
        /root/perl5/lib/i386-linux/auto/Acrobat/FDF/
      which I'll generalize to $FOO/lib/$BAR/auto/Acrobat/FDF/

4)  Go to the root prompt and install as follows, for your value of $FOO,
    $BAR, and $ARCH:

       mkdir -p $FOO/Acrobat/
       cp fdf.pm $FOO/Acrobat/FDF.pm      (note the case problems!)

       mkdir -p $FOO/lib/$BAR/auto/Acrobat/FDF/
       cp $ARCH/fdf.so $FOO/lib/$BAR/auto/Acrobat/FDF/FDF.so

And that worked for me.

Walter