[boulder.pm] writing Perl using ssh

rise rise at ipopros.com
Fri Jun 2 16:52:26 CDT 2000

> My latest assignment takes me into the murky world of secure servers (again)
> and doing file administration tasks between machines (copy, rename, delete,
> etc). Can you recommend a reference (a book, web site, whatever) that
> provides some direction on how to accomplish those tasks from a Perl
> program?

The OpenSSH page at http://www.openssh.com/manual.html has links to has
good background on the ssh protocol. Secure copy is provided by the scp
commandline tool, but for the other functions you might want to look into
writing a daemon using the IO::Socket::SSL module.

http://Casbah.org/Scarab/ has some interesting distributed programming
info, and links to SOAP::RPC, which since it's built on HTTP::Daemon
should allow you to use SSL for the communications.

As far as books go I've never found a good one on network programming in
Perl.

Jonathan Conway
Senior DBA
ipoPros.com